05 April 2010

A little bit off track--but almost there.

Well, I haven't been blogging quite as much as I'd liked these last few weeks, mostly because I also haven't been writing nearly as much as I'd like. I have gotten a little off track since the beginning of the semester, mostly because I've had a lot of distractions with classwork and writing papers and reading Arthurian legend and composing poems. Secondary to that, I started seeing someone a few months ago and that has also eaten up some time, although it's time very happily spent. And tertiary, I'm in a play that is going up next week, so rehearsal time is eating up even more time I could otherwise spend writing. I thought that I would have plenty of time this semester to write, but because most of my brain power has gone toward working on all of those things, I haven't had much juice left over to do any writing with. It's hard to concentrate on writing when I have an essay due at the end of the week. I've done a little here and there, and the other night I got really close to finishing up a chapter, but on the whole, I haven't been as consistent or as productive as I wanted. And that bugs me. Mainly because I promised chapters to people and I haven't been able to deliver.

But. I am happy to report that I only have 4 weeks of school left, and starting in early May I will have (hopefully, unless I get a job between now and then) much, much more time to devote to writing, and I plan on doing just that. I plan on setting up shop at the Starbucks down the street in the evenings and cranking out a lot of work. Coincidentally, sci-fi author Connie Willis (http://www.sftv.org/cw/) comes to that same store and works a lot on her books, and I was introduced to her recently by my boyfriend, who is a barista there. So that could end up being really helpful if I ever get to talk to her about the writing process or the genre on the whole, things like that. It's always good to have connections.

So in short...I don't know if I'll have the book done by June 1. My gut tells me no, but I could be totally wrong--I could hit the ground running as soon as school is over and crank everything out really fast. I have nearly the first half finished, and the end is almost written, it's just that pesky middle section that needs to be polished off. I would love to have it completed by June 1, but I'm totally okay with pushing that back a little if I need to. The deadline that is REALLY important to me is getting manuscripts off to publishers before Christmas, and at this point I'm not worried about that.

Hopefully there will be more to come in about a month. Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment