17 January 2010

A little about the project.

Thought I would write a little bit about the project and the novel in particular for those who might be interested in what the story is about.

So first off, the novel is called Bloodlines. And contrary to the title, it has nothing at all to do with vampires, even though I have nothing against them. In fact, I might even try to use the title to my advantage, because I know that there will be some out there who might see the title, think that it might have something to do with vampires because of the word "blood" in the title, buy it, and get through the entire thing and go "there's no vampires in this!" By which point, of course, I have already gotten their money. Hah. Or not, you never know. Worth a shot anyway.

The story came about a LONG time ago, when I was probably 14 or 15, and it was a very short story. Bloodlines, as it is right now, is very loosely based on that, and I mean very loosely. A few concepts and plot points survived, and only one of the characters' names came with it, and that was (at one point) the protagonist, Jirel. About 2 years ago it went through a major re-haul after which the setting was changed and the secondary protagonist Aviira came along. I started writing it and ended up having to take a break from it because I got hired to write a screenplay over the summer. After that I went back to another project I had in the works, which I had been working on up till a few weeks ago. Over Christmas I read a book that made me start thinking about Bloodlines again, and I decided to start RE-RE-writing it, this time changing the tense into first person progressive, from the point of view of Aviira, who turned into the primary protagonist. (Most first person novels, Twilight coming to mind, take place in the perfect tense, i.e. "I said this, I did this, I saw this." Progressive means it is hypothetically happening at the time the reader is reading it: "I say, he says, I go," etc.) And that basically took off, and I decided to really commit to it (I guess as a writer I have commitment issues, because I have so many ideas!) and work it through till the finish. So that's where we are today.

And so, for those who are still reading up to this point (congrats and thank you) I give you the synopsis of the story, or perhaps what might end up being on the back cover or inside flap. (Naturally, this will be subjected to someone a bit better at summarizing than me!)

"Fairy tales are a part of every person's childhood. Every child grows up with the stories of magical realms and fantastical creatures, of elves and fairies and knights in shining armor. But what they don't know is that those stories are real, and those so-called fairy tales actually live among us. People called Ancients, with the blood of those same fantastical creatures thought of as fairy tales, walk in our circles and live next door to us, silently and peacefully--or mostly peacefully. Pseudo-secret agents Aviira and Jirel are members of a global organization dedicated to keeping the peace between humans and Ancients, and they have never run into a problem they couldn't handle--until now. When an unassuming young woman with the blood of a demon crosses their path, they are forced to use extreme measures to keep her existence utterly silent, which may require more than they ever thought--including putting their own lives at risk to keep her unique and dangerous secret a secret."

So, for those who are on board with keeping up with me throughout this project, thank you, and welcome. Hopefully this will be a productive and successful year for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment